Caramelized Onion and Feta Tart
2 cups high grade flour
1tsp baking powder
220g frozen butter, grated
1/4 cup iced water
3 cups caramelized onions
1 x block of Food Snob Goat, Sheep or Cow Feta – grated or crumbled
2 tsp fresh thyme leaves or 1 tsp dried thyme
- Start by making the pastry. Combine the flour, salt and baking powder in a bowl. Mix in the grated butter and work a little with your fingertips until the mixture resembles rough crumbs. Then add the water, mixing just until a soft dough is formed.
- Place a large sheet of baking paper on the bench and tip the dough onto this, pressing it together with your hands. Place another sheet of baking paper over the dough and roll the pastry out with a rolling pin into a circle approximately 35cm in diameter.
- Transfer to a baking tray and chill for at least 10 minutes or until ready to assemble. Chilling pastry prevents shrinking during cooking.
- Preheat oven to 200˚C. Take your pastry base from the fridge and remove the top layer of baking paper. Spread the caramelised onions over the top of the pastry, leaving a 4cm border around the edge. Crumble the feta over the top and sprinkle with thyme.
- Fold the pastry edges in towards the centre to partially enclose the filling, then pleat in little folds to make a pastry border. Bake for 15 minutes then reduce heat to 180˚C for a further 35-40 minutes until golden and crisp.
Serve hot accompanied by green salad.