How to perfectly cook Halloumi
We love so many things about halloumi (numbers 1, 2 and 3 are eating it, obviously). We also love that it can be easily prepared in so many ways – grilled, sautéed, fried, baked, BBQ’d – plus, it keeps its form and doesn’t ooze all over the pan or grill. It’s low maintenance, and great as a meat alternative.
We do get asked quite regularly what the secret is to perfecting that delicious, stripy, golden-brown halloumi we see so often in recipes. We’re happy to tell you that it’s actually very easy. Here’s how:
- Slice your halloumi evenly, and pat dry with a paper towel.
- Heat a non-stick griddle pan or your BBQ to a medium-high heat, and spray or brush lightly with olive oil.
- Sear the halloumi strips for 1-2 minutes each side, until golden and soft.
Things to remember:
- You can’t undercook halloumi – you’re better to slightly under-do it than over-do it.
- Once it starts going golden brown, it will cook quite quickly, so be ready to flip it or remove it from the heat.
We have a whole lot of mouth-watering halloumi recipes on the site for you to try – here are two recent favourites for you to check out